Skip to main content

Check a licence

SafeWork licence register

A new register of high risk work, asbestos and demolition licence holders, and general construction induction training card holders is now available online.

  • The register does not include holders of explosives and firework licences.
  • The register makes it easier for businesses to check the validity of a worker’s licence or training card via a single portal.
  • The register will be published in two phases.

Phase 1 includes publication of the licence/card holder’s name, licence number and type, licence status, and the licence expiry date (if any).

Phase 2 – anticipated to occur in May 2018 – will include publication of licence conditions, and penalty and prosecution actions.

A person can request to have their information suppressed by demonstrating that its publication would be unfairly prejudicial or impact their personal safety or well-being.

If you received a message in error regarding the register, please ignore it and email us at

Regular checking of licences

Businesses and employers should regularly check workers’ licences to ensure the licence is valid.
You should check that the licence:

  • has not expired
  • includes the relevant classes
  • has the correct photo and name of the worker



Examples of high risk licenses and what to look out for
Workers need a licence to:

  • remove or assess asbestos
  • carry out construction work
  • carry out high risk work, like operating cranes, forklifts and erecting scaffolding
  • work with explosives and fireworks

Workers must have their high risk work licence available for inspection.

Industry issued competency cards

There have been a number of competency cards issued within industry that display SafeWork NSW licence numbers. These cards are not issued or endorsed by SafeWork NSW and therefore cannot be considered reliable evidence of a workers licence. You can quickly check the validity of a licence by calling us on 13 10 50

Leave a Reply